Trisno Widijanto shows how to do Utthita Parsvakonasana with safe and uninterrupted extension. The following steps are his instruction to do it right.
Parsva means side, Kona means angle.
This is the extended lateral angle pose.
- Stand straight in Tadasana and jump. Spread the legs 4 feet apart, raise the arms inline with shoulders.
- Turn the right leg 90 degrees to the right out and turn the left foot slightly in. Keep the legs straight and the body upright. Bend the right leg to the right angle, thigh parallel and shin bone perpendicular to the floor. The left leg remains straight.
- Exhale take the right hand down to the floor by the side of the right foot, keeping the chest facing the front.
- Extend the left arm straight up inline with shoulder and turn the arm over the head.
- Turn the head to look up past the thumb.
- Remain in this pose from half minutes to a minutes, breathing deeply and evenly.
- Continue with the left side and come back to Tadasana.
When you already in the pose, check that your bend leg in the right angle as it might cause the pain on the knee. There should be no weight on the knee. The left leg should be remains straight to kept the weight balanced.
To get maximum lateral extension in this pose, with exhalation stretch every part of the body, concentrating on the back portion of the whole body, specially in the spine. Stretch the spine until all the vertebrae and ribs move and there is a feeling that even the skin is being stretched and pulled.
Trisno Widiyanto is a certified Iyengar Yoga teacher who taught Iyengar Yoga in Singapore for five years. Widi’s keen observation skills, clear corrections and instructions, and his compassionate teaching style make him popular with yoga students. Widi is open to share his knowledge of yoga to students who are enthusiastic to expand their yoga horizon, as well as new students of yoga, who want to start a meaningful yoga practice.
note: Widiyanto is using Tortue Sticky Yogamat 3mm – pose Utthita Parsvakonasana.
[products_slider title=”” per_page=”6″ hide_free=”no” show_hidden=”no” animation_delay=”0″ z_index=”” product_in_a_row=”3″ category=”sticky-yogamat” layout=”default” product_type=”all” orderby=”rand” order=”desc” autoplay=”false” animate=”” ]